What if I Was a Wise Man

If I could travel back to Bethlehem, I would be a wise man.

December 4, B.C.

Hi diary,

I have just come back from a friend’s house.  I saw the biggest, brightest star in the whole valley!  Tomorrow I’ll tell my friends about it.  I can’t wait!

December 5, B.C.

Guess what, diary!  I studied the star with seven other magi.  We think the star is moving!  We are going to follow it.  I know it sounds crazy, but I have a strange feeling it will lead us somewhere important.  I’m packing my bags now for the trip.  I have a servant getting my camel ready for the trip.

P.S.  Camels are really quite uncomfortable, and I wish I could use a horse, but they eat and drink a lot and who knows how long our trip will take and how much food and water we’ll need.

December 7, B.C.

Yesterday we started out to follow the star.  We are amazed by its brightness.  It is 7:00, so I had better hit the sack.  Tomorrow we have a long day.

December 8, B.C.

We followed the star today.  It is incredible.  I still have a feeling something special is going to happen on this trip.  I wonder what it means.

December 20, B.C.

We were following the star when we approached a city.  We went into the city looking for a well for our camels to drink from.  As we walked, we were so busy looking for a well that we bumped into one of the king’s royal guards.  He got so mad at us that he brought us to the kind!  The guard explained the problem to the kind, who apparently was named Herod.

When he heard the problem, he looked like he was about to burst with anger!  He had fiery eyes, and he opened his mouth to yell at us, when suddenly he stopped.  He looked calm as he eyed our things.

I think three things jumped out to him.  They were myrrh, frankincense, and gold.  Magi are classy, so whenever you see one you can usually spy something valuable with them.  This is why Ed, Ted, Red, and I carried myrrh, frankincense, and gold with us.  I carried gold.  Ted carried with him frankincense, and Red brought myrrh.

Anyway, King Herod thought they were gifts for himself.  When we explained that the gifts were not for him, he got angry and forced us to stay at his palace.  We were afraid and decided to do what he said.

But before I tell you the rest of the story, you must know I was right about something special entitled to this trip.  Jarod, one of the magi, was reading the Scripture just before bed when suddenly he jumped up, shouting, “Jumping jelly beans!  Good gravy!  Hot gazoobies!” and other things like that.

Turns out in the Scripture, he read about a coming of a Savior, a new King!  We were now sure the star was leading us to the new King!

When we told all this to King Herod, he calmly said, “Please go find this new king so I can worship him too.”

We were thrilled that the king wanted to worship him too.  To top that off, he let us leave!  So now I am in my safe, nice little tent.  I now am going to sleep.  Good night.

December 26, after Christ was born

Guess what!  Yesterday we finished our goal!  We found in a foreign town called Bethlehem, the Savior!  He was lying in a trough, in a manger.  He was just a little baby wrapped in swaddling cloth, but we knew he was special.  His father is named Joseph, and his mother, Mary.  We gave him our gold, frankincense, and myrrh.  He is so cute, and we all took turns holding him.  I love him.  They named him Jesus.

December 27, A.D.

Last night, we had a vision.  An angel of the Lord said to us, “Do not tell Herod where to find Jesus.  For he wants to kill Jesus.  Take a different path back to your town, around his kingdom.”

We decided to trust God, and like the vision had told us, go around Herod’s kingdom.

So here I am, sitting on my camel blanket, atop Humphrey my camel, writing all this on my way back home, around Big H’s kingdom.

December 29, A.D.

Last night we were robbed.  We were riding, some of us leading our camels.  It was almost pitch black, and we could barely see.  Out of nowhere were seven robbers!  They beat us up and took everything of value.  There was only one thing they didn’t take, and they never came close to taking it.